William Wallace (Braveheart)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

the reply of question1

Post  Candy Z on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:28 am

I agree with the advice. When his farther died, Willian Wallace was still a child. If he choose to take reverge at that time, it is just like a suicide. To beat an enemy,the most effective way is to be stronger than him. That is what his uncle want to tell him. Only then you can beat your enemys without meaningless sacrifice.

Candy Z

View user profile

Back to top Go down

part 2

Post  Candy Z on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:30 am

I can understand the hatred feeling in his heart. His father and wife died of the cruel rule. For him, he must take revenge for their murder. Besides, he didn't want this tragedy happened again. He realized that if Edward's regime didn't collapse, the people would live in a poor life from generation to generation. He fought for their freedom, their happiness. So his sacrifice is worth.

Candy Z

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The answer of Part I

Post  Richard007 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:34 am

I agree with their advice to William. They are both enphasizing wits is the most important thing to learn. By using wits, one can know how to use a sword more effciently and aggressively, or one can know what does he want most or waht will he pursue for his entire life span, or one can know how to get along well with others, etc. On the other hand, they also don't want that revenge take up William. Suffering so much at childhood, it is very easy for William to become an extremist or a tool to revenge. That is dangerous. He must use wits to strengthen himself and make himself a real man. Then he can make the right choice after growing up and get revenge.

Richard007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The answer of Part II

Post  Richard007 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:35 am

I think William's love for Scotland results from his pursuit of freedom. Allow me to make an extreme assumption, if he were a person of England, for freedom, he still would resist Langshanks' rule on Scotland. He is a Scot, and he loves Scotland certainly. As to his sacrifice of his life for freedom, I think it is inevitable. Surely it is sorrowful and upset. But, without his death, Bruce may not have the full courage to get rid of his father and make dicision on his own finally. Without his death, the Scots will not unite together to resist against England. Without his death, the film will not be such a perfect tragedy that leave us a deep impression on freedom. Just like the foundation of PRC, the War of Independence, The Civil War, etc.every time people ask for rights or freedom, they should pay for it at the cost of blood and love. I think it is impossible to get long lasting peace and freedom just by negotiation, without war.

Richard007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:But its our wits that makes us men

Post  melissa15 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 pm

i agree with this idea.

we always say that knowledge can help us become powerful. when we learn the knowledge,we can think from more aspects of the matter. in this way, we humans become wise. the wits are the basic tool for humans. first William wants to revenge the Scotland Longshanks, but his uncle told him this word. it can be easily reflected in the stone game. William uses his wits defeat others. physical strength can't be efficient enough,. only when you can use anything in hand as a weapon, you get the level of wits.

melissa15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Love and hate

Post  Juliaye on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:33 pm

I have a very complex feeling towards the movie for I like it but I also hate the scenes of the bloody fight, such as swords getting though the body, the heads chopped into pieces and blood flying, etc. I dare not see thus. However, considering the other aspects, for example, the loyal love between the hero and his wife, the brotherhood among the people in Scotland, and so on, I love it very much. Yes, it’s a successful movie. I want to recommend it to someone who wants to know something about the English history. It can help to better understand the background of the English history. But I am afraid I won’t introduce it to shy girls, because they may be frightened.

Juliaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

about William Wallace (Braveheart)

Post  Tiffany13 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:29 am

in my ipinion, them are trying to teach William that whenever you want to do something, you not only need to ues your physical strength, but also your wisedom, your mind. And i am agree with them, because as we know, the strengeh is just make one person physically strong, but cannot make him\her wise. As we see in the film, the game of throwing stones, William's friend is much stronger than he is, but without skill, he still cannot make the stone in his control. However, William uses his mind so that he can get het result that he wants, even though he just uses a small stone. so, by this little thing ,we can see how is it imporant to use your mind. And what's more, if you don't have a very strong body, but you have a great mind, you can also uses it to make other people to work for you, an by that way, you can get what a strong man cannot get. and we all know many examples of great minds who use their wisedom to won over others who own much more strength than them in history ,so as far as i am concerned, use one's mind is much more imporant than one's strength.

Tiffany13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It is our wits that makes us men

Post  sunnysun on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:39 pm

I agree with his father. It is the wits make the human different from the animals. The man who good at using his mind is more clever than others. In old times, people value more violence, and people want to get what they want by violence. William’s father wants his son to be a master man and hopes he can remember his word. But he never thinks that will be the last sentence he said to his son. In my eyes, that sentence influence William’s later life. With his uncle’s help he understands his father’s word clearly and to be a wit man.

sunnysun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Part 2

Post  RileyYin on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:31 pm

I don’t know where I should stand to view William Wallace’s love for Scotland. He and his people are fighting for freedom, not only for themselves, but also for others or their descendants. Besides, he also wants to revenge his wife. But for himself, the price he pays is so heavy. If I were him, I wouldn’t be so brave as him. Maybe this is the reason why I am not a hero. Robert’s betrayal is just for his own benefit. But he should understand even the Langshakes promised big treasure, can he make it true? He should have made a good balance, and consider the result well.
The movie and its theme are good, but I don’t like it very much. It’s too bloody. I can’t tolerate the picture.

RileyYin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It's our wits that makes us men

Post  Grace520 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:45 am

Part 1 William Wallace had to face a lot of tragedies at an early age. After his father died in war, he wanted to get revenge on Edward the Longshanks, but his uncle told him that he had to learn to use his brain before the using the sword. His father told him, "But its our wits that makes us men?" Explain what you think this men were teaching him, and do you agree with their advice to William?
Obviously, his uncle is teaching William to use his brain. Only brutal power cannot show the distinction and superoity of humans. Humans distinguish them from other species by having mind to coutrol their actions and making decisions and choices. I totally argee with this advice. William has evidently shown his brain in the following actions taken by him. He is not only brave but also smart in fightings which brings him larger chance to win. It is a very crucial piece of advice for William to fight for his freedom, his love and his country.

Grace520

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: William Wallace (Braveheart)

Post  Angela* on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:37 am

It is our wits that make us men; it is our brain that makes us become human.

People have become people, has become higher than the souls of animals is because people have the wits and knowledge, so they are related to the human development of a major problem. In the movie, it is William’s wits rather than courage that make him successful in so much battles and conflicts. It takes more than hot-headedness or bull-like courage to win in the world. It had been grounded in our wits.

Freedom and truth are above anything. In order to achieve the freedom of his own country, Wallace endured too much. The quest Wallace is truly searching for is not for triumphant battle or the title of a king, but just that of peace with a family of his own. The temporary peace given by the nobles can not be lasts long, only the freedom of the whole country is strong enough to assure their freedom and provide the opportunity to pursuit their happiness.

Brave heart is a brutal, bloody motion picture, but the violence in it is not gratuitous. Few theatrical moments make a more eloquent statement against war than when Gibson shows women and children weeping over the dead on a body-littered battlefield. War is a two-headed beast, and both faces -- the glorious and the tragic -- are depicted. So it is worth to be recommended to everyone.

Angela*

View user profile

Back to top Go down

part2

Post  sunnysun on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:19 pm

There are so much violence in the movie and i don't like the violence. At first William wants to have a peaceful life in his hometown but the Englishman brake his dream. Then he calls on the people stick back the Longshanks. From his word and action i know he love his country very much,and he wants to liberate the Scotland. i am double weather he wants to be the king of the new Scotland.
he fights for freedom. It is the freedom that make him a strong man and bring him the honor. IT is a pity that he is died at the end.
I think William will forgive Robert Bruce's betrayal. William will give chance to him and cooperate with him .

sunnysun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

our wits that makes us men

Post  Selena 5 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:03 pm

I totally agree with their advice to William. It is true that it s our wits that makes us men. If men do not have wits, we may still live like animals. It is impossible for us to lead a life like today without wits. In this movie, William’s father and uncle taught him to use wits so that he learnt a lot and knew how to fight effectively. This was the reason that he could be the leader of so many people. Actually, in our daily life, we should make use of our knowledge to solve problems we meet.

Selena 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Selena 5 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:06 pm

In my view, William Wallace’s love for Scotland is profound. He really loved his hometown, for which he would rather scarify his life. The betrayal of Robert the Bruce was a tragedy. Because of his betrayal, William lost his life. I was very sad about that. As for sacrifice of his life for freedom, I think he must be proud of himself and will be always remembered as a hero by all the people. This is really a great movie. I remember a lot of people in Chinese history who would rather die without freedom. I would like to recommender it to my contemporary, because it is a little sanguinary.

Selena 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie* on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:09 pm

In one contemporary TV serious of China, the hero said that when two men meet in the narrow field, the brave man wins and when two brave men meet, the wise man wins. It is similar with the saying in some point. Simple brave is not wise but precipitance, which has little chance to get what we want especially in a tough situation. I could not agree more with him, but it is not easy to keep calm and wise and use our brain to solve problems when we are really in some emergency or situation that we care about.

His love is heroic and strong. It is pretty hard to rush into the conclusion about whether it is worthy or not, because it is hard to define. What really matters in my mind is whether justice has been justified and the common people do get a better life than they used to live. Over all, it is a good movie and thank you for your sharing with us. I would recommend to those I think with a hero complex and those who love freedom and wisdom.

chrissie*

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top