Video Chaser
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gattaca (Part 2)

+17
Davidhuo
melissa15
lydia he
lanny.liu
Richard007
05crystal
Vicki Z
chenny
RileyYin
ELLA@
Tiffany13
Sophia14
emma-lee
Angela*
Juliaye
sunnysun
Admin
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty Gattaca (Part 2)

Post  Admin Fri May 18, 2012 12:36 am

In the not so distant future:

Gattaca starts off with this statement. Do you thinks that societies already show prejudices against people because of their DNA?

If we had this kind of technology to use in the world; would you choose to use it?

Why did vincent challenge what science told him about his life?

Do you believe that science can predict a person's future ability?

Admin
Admin

https://videochaser.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty Re: Gattaca (Part 2)

Post  sunnysun Sat May 19, 2012 2:21 pm

i don't think that kind of prejudice has appear in our real world, at least not in the world i know.in my eyes, that kind of text is bad. The goal of the science is to help the human to have good life, to help human but in the movie that break many people's dream. Better NDA like a barrier on the way to develop one's dream. if this kind of science exist in the real world i will use it to help people who have bad disease. The development of is to help human to have happy life.

sunnysun

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnysun Sat May 19, 2012 2:44 pm

vincent challenge what the science told him because he has dream and the brave and persistence to develop his dream. How can a machine tell how long we can live. if one scared by it , there is no meaning to life because well all die one day. Vincent is very brave he pays much for his dream, even his life. i don't think the science can predict one's future ability. People praise one has some gift because the see he do it or has the trend to do it.

sunnysun

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty prejudices against people because of their DNA

Post  Juliaye Sun May 20, 2012 4:54 am

I don’t think the situation is so serious today, maybe in the not so distant future. Indeed, sometimes we can notice that some people judge others according to their family (essentially the DNA). We have heard of news that a certain professor or a scientist got the permission to give birth to a second or third child while the others parents were strictly forbidden to do that because in China we must abide by the policy of One Child. I think it’s unfair. We can see the prejudice from the government. Of course, the serous situation described in the movie is much more terrible.

Juliaye

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty I would choose to be natural, anyway!

Post  Juliaye Sun May 20, 2012 4:56 am

No, definitely no. I feel disgusting when I saw the hero scraping his body while he was having a bath in order not to leave any hairs in some places. Even though people were improved by the technology, they live a dead live. We can see from the film, everyone was numb and cool without any expressions on their faces. They care less about love than technology. It’s hard to believe. What the purpose they live on earth, just for improvement in science? People behave like machines, not human beings’ way. I would choose to be natural, anyway!

Juliaye

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty DREAM'S POWER

Post  Juliaye Sun May 20, 2012 5:26 am

I do admire the spirit of Vincent, struggling against the authority. He was unfortunate to know his inborn disability and then he was looked down even by his family. I think he had the faith, in fact his dream in flying to the outer space which drove him forward. Yes, he wasn’t tall enough, and had poor eyesight with inborn heart disease. But he tried to improve his health. In the end, he beat his bother and also the authorities. From an early age, he had the dream of flying into the space, so he prepared to get the purpose step by step. The power of his dream gave him the courage to ignore the prediction and overcome all the difficulties.

Juliaye

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty No prediction!

Post  Juliaye Sun May 20, 2012 5:27 am

I don’t believe that science can predict a person's future ability. Science always has a clear-cut measure for something, while human beings are full of possibilities. Just like the movie the Seabiscuit we have watched, the hero was also predicted by the crowd, but he finally proved in another way. People have initiative, activeness and persistence to change what have been set by others. If it can be predicted, then there will not be surprise and new records any more in human history

Juliaye

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty re

Post  Angela* Sun May 20, 2012 1:00 pm

In society, it’s hard to say whether the societies have already show prejudices against people because of their DNA. Maybe it does exist. But if we had this kind of technology to use in the world, I don’t think I will choose to use it. The notion that bad individuals should not be allowed to prosper does not exist in most species, yet it has been crucial to human evolution. But I believe in the power of nature, the power of natural selection. Some people really do seem to think that natural selection is a universal acid, and that nothing can resist its powers of dissolution. So why not follow the action of nature? The change of one’s DNA is something against the nature. If we can determine one’s life or something, we don’t have the power to let him totally follow us. So I don’t think it’s strange for Vincent to challenge what science told him about his life.
I don’t believe that science can totally predict a person's future ability. If they can, maybe they just predict a little. Because I think a person's future ability is not mainly determined by innate things.

Angela*

Back to top Go down

Post  emma-lee Wed May 23, 2012 5:28 pm

I won’t choose to use this kind of technology, because I don’t want my child to live a lonely life. If he is outstanding, he will be different from others. The children who are natural born won’t play with him. What’s more, I don’t want him to live up to our expectations “he is the best, he has to be the champion.”

emma-lee

Back to top Go down

Post  emma-lee Wed May 23, 2012 5:29 pm

As far as I’m concerned, Vincent’s dream is so strong that it makes him to challenge what science told about his life. He doesn’t like his brother, because his parents treat them differently. I think that’s an important reason for him to prove he is not weaker than his brother.
I don’t believe that science can predict a person's future ability, because the future is full of factors that can’t be assured. Science can determine our DNA, but it cannot lead our future life which depends on ourselves.

emma-lee

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty the predict

Post  Sophia14 Thu May 24, 2012 4:13 am

i do not think this kind of prediction in our real world. our future is made by ourselves rather than the prediction, as long as we work hard we can come true our dreams. if in our world, we have such kind of technology, i think i will not choose it, i will just live my life in my own way. and i do not want wy children have something different from other children.

Sophia14

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty i would not use it

Post  Tiffany13 Thu May 24, 2012 4:22 am

first of all, i don't think the society has show the prejudice on the basis of a person' DNA. in our socity today, every one of us is born with the natural DNA, so almost everyone has the same level of intelligence, so it doesn't make big difference in one's DNA, anyone who can make a great sucess through his/her hard-wording. then, If we had this kind of technology to use in the world; i would not use it. because i don't think it can really makes a big difference. although it will make a person has ahigher level of IQ, but it cannot guarantee one's success. besides, i think that what we get natually is the best, maybe it has some defects, but it is really natural. so, i would not use it.

Tiffany13

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty the challenging

Post  Sophia14 Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 am

i think vincent just want to prove that he is very strong and capable. in his childhood, his parents take care of him and not let him do something that they think he can not do. he was also looked down upon by other people. so he did this just want to prove himself. i do not think a doctor can predict a person's future ability. a man's ability is endless.as long as he believes that he can do it, so he can. no matter what other people say, just believe yourself. if a doctor predicts your future ability, perhaps it can make you lose the belief and lose yourself.

Sophia14

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty about can science predict a person's future ability

Post  Tiffany13 Thu May 24, 2012 4:29 am

science can partly predict a person's ability . in my opinion, science ca predict a person's ability by some test, but some of the abilities cannot predicted. a person may have great potential , just in some accidental cases can a person's potential be developed, so, this kind of cases cannot be predicted.

Tiffany13

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty if we have this kind of tecnology in our world, i will choose to use it

Post  ELLA@ Thu May 24, 2012 9:41 am

if the technology exists in the future, i will choose bravely to use it. no one is perfact physically. if we have this kind of need, why not we choose to use it. it is one way to make up for our phycical defects, so that those who can have a normal life. science is developed to help improve people's living standard. we live in this world for the purpose if conquring life. technology makes it easy and contibutes to realize one dream. and i do believe that the tecnology can predicate a person's ability in the future. Surprised

ELLA@

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty i can understand vincent chanllenge what the science trll him

Post  ELLA@ Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 am

i can totally understand why vincent chanllenge what the science tells him. i admire him. actually people who like vincent have DNA defects bear more pressure than common people. they usually are more fortitudious, because they are longing for realizing his dream. some says" life is a tragedy". howerver, we prefer to believe that life is not a tragedy but a struggle. what do we live for this life? tha answer given by Roman Rolland is to conquer life. vincent is a fighter of life. actually everyone can be a fighter of life as long as thay has the determination. Cool

ELLA@

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyYin Thu May 24, 2012 1:56 pm

In fact, the society doesn’t show so much prejudice against people because of their DNA as to the people who haven’t own excellent DNA can’t exist or live in the world. To most degree, the world is not unfair. DNA can’t decide other people’s attitude. What counts most is morality and determination for dream.
If we had this kind of technology to use in the world, I wouldn’t choose to use it. I just want to be myself, a natural person. That’s the most beautiful thing.
Vincent challenges what science told him about his life, because he doesn’t want to commit failure to nature, science. He has his powerful dream. His strong will and indomitable spirit is the key.

RileyYin

Back to top Go down

Post  chenny Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 pm

I don’t think our society has already shown prejudice against people because of their DNA. Such kind of technology is not available yet.

But if such kind of technology is scientifically backed and proved to be accurate, I would certainly use it to find out what have been written in my genes and those who I care about.

Although science told him about his physical deficiencies, it overlooked the fact that personality was also something rooted in one’s DNA. Vincent was born to be determined and perseverant. He could resist the urge to realize his dream.

Science can predict, or more accurately, demonstrate what we are endowed with, what have been written in our DNA. But one’s future ability cannot be indicated by his DNA alone. There are so many other significant factors – the environment, the support from parents, the personal determination and so on.

chenny

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty answers

Post  Vicki Z Thu May 24, 2012 4:02 pm

No, I don't think so. The assumption is not likely to become true.If I had this kind of technology to use in the world, I would not choose to use it.He doesn't trust science, and he believes in himself. Moreover, and most of all, I think the crutial motivation is his dream which is so strong that he can sum up all his courage to pursue it. In some extent, yes, I think so. I have learned Genetics, so I know how genes decide the characters of people.

Vicki Z

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty Being natural is the best.

Post  05crystal Mon May 28, 2012 4:01 pm

At present, I believe people haven't shown prejudice yet because people are still naturally born now. If the genetical tansplant can be used universally or people can have an access to this technology, I believe the prejudice will appear in the near future. After all, those who accept the transpalnt are born excellent in many aspects and these advantages can be assessed by computers and hi-tech instead by a complicated process.
If I have a chance to get this genetical modification, I will accept to make some changes on my genesin order to avoid some physical shortcomings. But I will not change too much because I still would like to experience life as a natural man. Life is beautiful for its sunny day as well as its storms.

05crystal

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty Answers to the question

Post  Richard007 Mon May 28, 2012 5:30 pm

First it is absurd to believe that society already show prejudice against people because of their DNA. Besides, I don not believe this kind of technology will be uesd in the world. To some degree, it cannot be realizedl. If the technology can be invited, then what is the standard of good DNA. Is it right that a short life span belongs to bad DNA while a long one belongs to good DNA? Mr. Dukes also gives us an extreme assumption in class, "A man can live for many years,even longer than anyone else according to the analysis of his DNA. What if he is knocked down by a car when he goes across the street?" What is more, like Stephen William Hawking, only two of his fingers can move on his whole body. Is that good DNA in terms of the technology? But he has made a great contribution to science, especially in astronomy. I think that is why Vicent tries his best to challenge what science told him about his life. I do not deny that science can predict one's born ability, but it can never predict the future and one's life destiny.

Richard007

Back to top Go down

Post  lanny.liu Tue May 29, 2012 6:47 am

[quote="Admin"]In the not so distant future:

Gattaca starts off with this statement. Do you thinks that societies already show prejudices against people because of their DNA?
NO, i don't think so.But i have toadmit that societies show prejudices against peopleagainst other things they have or have not.

[i]If we had this kind of technology to use in the world; would you choose to use it?[/
i will do my best to destroy this technology if things will develop in the way as shown in the film. Evil or Very Mad
Why did vincent challenge what science told him about his life? [/b]
because he has a strong belief in what he can do, and the fact that he won his perfect brother made himrealised that if he spares no effort to do it , he can make it. Like a Star @ heaven
Do you believe that science can predict a person's future ability?
i don't believe so. this universe is reallyvery mysterious,including our human beings. Noone can say he knows everything,who knows what will happenin the future.
Exclamation Exclamation

lanny.liu

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty Re~

Post  lydia he Tue May 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Yes, I think it has a little prejudice. Nowadays, some people may be excellent and their abilities may be very good. But people seldom think they have better DNA. Only when people appreciate their appearances, they may think they have good DNA. However, people all like seeing beautiful girls or handsome boys. So when people are hunting jobs, if two people have the same ability, the person who has good appearance may have advantage.

lydia he

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty Re2~

Post  lydia he Tue May 29, 2012 3:55 pm

I would not choose to use that kind of technology, because in my opinion, such kind of technology may have some bad effects, such as maybe the child has a lonely life in his childhood or the child may be so wise that he or she would not study hard or discriminate against the common children, etc. He or she may see a different world. They will become lonely and they may not have the similar feelings when facing the same difficulty with other common people. Moreover, I don’t want him to live with the words “he is the No.1”

lydia he

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty Re3~

Post  lydia he Tue May 29, 2012 4:17 pm

To some degree, it can predict a person’s ability. For example, in the movie, the science predicts Vincent has heart disease which may limit him choosing career and it also makes him different from his brother. However, it cannot predict people’s all abilities. For example, Vincent’s parents know he would not live longer. Compared with his brother, they may treat him differently which may limit Vincent’s own improvement. Vincent’s childhood is not as good and free as his brother. When he wants to do something, the first action of his parents is to stop him. No encouragement! He is not as tall as his brother. His parents’ action is to celebrate his brother’s growth. No one consider his feeling. It’s bias.

lydia he

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next